Monday, February 27, 2006

God's Sovereignty

Taken from a longer post over at Random Responses, this is one of the best and most insightful quotes I have ever read on man's hostility to God's sovereignty. Horatius Bonar, noted preacher and hymn-writer, and brother of Andrew Bonar, was a man of notable godliness and influence in his native Scotland, and remains so today.

"Man's dislike at God's sovereignty arises from his suspicion of God's heart. And yet the men in our day, who deny this absolute sovereignty, are the very men who profess to rejoice in the love of God, - who speak of that love as if there were nothing else in God but love. The more I understand of the character of God, as revealed in Scripture, the more shall I see that He must be sovereign, and the more shall I rejoice from my inmost heart that He is so."

- Horatius Bonar (1808-1889)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home