Thursday, February 15, 2007

A Bluegrass Valentine

I love bluegrass music, and have been playing it ever since I heard Doc Watson's fingers fly up and down the neck of his guitar when I was a teenager. One of the first songs I ever learned was Doc's rendition of "Railroad Bill." I realize bluegrass music is an acquired taste, but so is opera, and many other fine things in this life.

My wife gave me a Valentine's Day gift which I want to recommend to you. It is a cd entitled Quartet, and offers the talents of Tony Rice and Peter Rowan on guitar, along with two very talented ladies: bassist Bryn Davies and Sharon Gilchrist on mandolin. It's a wonderful album and a good introduction to bluegrass music. Tony Rice is one of my favorite musicians, and has surrounded himself over the years with great talent. He pushes the envelope of bluegrass, adding jazz inflections and incomparable flatpicking leads. Just listening to this master musician is worth the price, but Peter Rowan's mournful vocals in harmony with the two ladies makes this a very special experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home