Sunday, October 09, 2005

Current Reading List

I am not technically proficient to put these in the sidebar, so I'll just make a nice easy Sunday post about books I am reading.

In the daytime I am reading Robert W. Jenson's Systematic Theology, vol.2, The Works of God. Jenson is a rare example of someone writing within the orthodox, magisterial Reformation tradition, who also engages postmodernism and other challenges facing the church today. I am enjoying this volume more so than the first, which had a tendancy towards neologisms and other devices to impress the reader.


When I tire of systematics, I pick up the American Library edition of Civil War Poets, which sits atop a pile of other poetry volumes recently purchased, such as Henry Vaughn, John Berryman, and now Allen Tate. I also started Leonard Sweet's, Into the Mystery, but that is on hold for now.


In the evening I am finishing Russell Shorto's wonderful history of Dutch Manhattan, The Island at the Center of the World. I can't recommend this book enough. It is engagingly written and fascinating in its description of life in my native city circa 1640. The early Reformed Church ministers, who are mentioned so reverently in RCA histories, are revealed to be a mostly contentious, even drunken lot!

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott Nichols said...

RCA pastors contentious? I'm soooo glad we have outgrown that...

2:44 PM  
Blogger Scribe said...

LOL!!! Yeah... you said it. Just peaceful sailing ahead!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Contentious and drunken, even!

We're just carrying on an old family tradition, I guess...

10:21 PM  
Blogger Scott Nichols said...

Maybe we can get Hank Williams jr. to write us few new hymns...

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home