Sunday, October 16, 2005

Lover of Manuscripts

I decided to change my screen name today from Neopuritan, which no longer reflects my theological interests or orientation, to Philaskolia, which is a composite word meaning "lover of manuscripts." And not just any manuscripts, but manuscripts which began as early medieval commentaries (9th century), and made their way via scribes onto the margins of later manuscripts. An example of what I mean is to the left. The text is on the right side of the manuscript, and the scholia, which is all the smaller writing, takes up the rest of the page. Scholia can also be referred to as marginalia.

So why did I choose this name. Well, "Bibliophile" seemed a bit prosaic. I am also a collector of manuscripts, and love marginalia, so this fits me to a tee. One of my favorite printed "scholias" is a page from a 16th century edition of Calvin's Commentary on the Psalms. It has the Hebrew text in the right hand corner, and Calvin's Latin gloss underneath and around it. "Philaskolia" means then, one who loves books, manuscripts, arcana, marginalia, and the interplay between one scholar and another. I think it beats Neopuritan hands down.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Have you seen http://www.kb.nl/kb/manuscripts/
this site yet?

9:54 PM  
Blogger Scribe said...

Wow!! Thanks. Great site.

8:18 AM  
Blogger Scribe said...

Thanks. I enjoyed your blog and web site too.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Whew - that's a relief! Ars, I know you are reformed and a calvinist (which are far from my own inclinations) but I luv ya site. The puritan bit was never something to thrill me. Philaskolia is better - but what a mouthful. Now why can't you just be Ars Theologica: a first name, a second name. I prefer to just call you Ars even though I am a book lover and former librarian.

6:35 AM  
Blogger Scribe said...

I'm glad you like the site, but being Reformed means a lot of different things to different people. Sadly, it has become a byword for intolerance, bigotry, and a sadistic depiction of God. For others, being Reformed means merely that we cherish God's sovereignty and try to learn from our mistakes.

PS. I like your site too!

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home