Friday, January 13, 2006

Essential Music For Pastors and Theologians

Several other blogs have continued their list-making for essential things every theologian or pastor should read, see, or listen to. I thought I would add my top ten pieces of music that I consider essential for the spiritually-minded person of taste (!). They are not listed in order of greatness or spirituality. It is a somewhat random list, with the exception of number one, which trumps all.

1. J.S. Bach, Mass in B Minor
2. Mozart, Requiem
3. Beethoven, Missa Solemnis
4. Ralph Vaughn Williams, Variations on a Theme By Thomas Tallis
5. Wagner, Parsifal
6. Thomas Tallis, If Ye Love Me
7. Palestrina, Missa Papae Marcelli
8. Rachmaninoff, Vespers
9. John Rutter, Loving Shepherd of Thy Sheep
10. Lassus, Lamentations
11. Kinky Friedman, They Ain't Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore

I know I said "10", but I couldn't resist the last selection, which is a reminder not to take ourselves too seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home