Thursday, April 20, 2006

What's Going On?

I haven't had much to write about of late, which may be a good thing given all the scriptural admonitions to keep a governed tongue (pen? computer?), and I've been down with a virus. I thought I would just share what I've been listening to and reading. What's on your list?

Books
I just finished reading Martyn Lloyd-Jones' book, The All-Sufficient God (Banner of Truth), which is a series he preached on Isaiah chapter 40. Needless to say it was outstanding - the Doctor never fails to move and inspire. I also just finished Bruce Feiler's Walking the Bible, which was very interesting, although a bit uncritical viz. higher criticism! So now I have begun John Piper's Contending for Our All, and I am also beginning to dip into the recently re-published edition of the first years of The Banner of Truth magazine. I bought this book a few months ago, and only just found out I will be receiving a free copy when I attend the Banner of Truth Ministers' Conference in May (a highlight of my year). When I pastored a church in Princeton, NJ, I would usually take one or two days a month to read for a morning in the Princeton Theological Seminary library. Invariably I would head for this book, so I am pleased to own it for myself. I had to pass by a lot of offensive material to get to the right set of stacks!

Music
The classical playlists on my iPod have gone unused of late, as I have been listening mostly to instrumental guitar music and folk music. Mostly I have been listening to Tommy Emmanuel's cd Endless Road, Bryan Sutton's Not Too Far From the Tree, Norman Blake's Field's of November, and his collaborations with Tony Rice. Buddy and Julie Miller are also getting some attention.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am reading Richard Wilbur's Collected Poems. Just a few at a time, like grapes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scribe said...

Then I get it all over myself! ;)

What country are you from Anman? If you don't me asking...

11:08 AM  
Blogger Scribe said...

I seem to have a devoted readership in the antipodes, for which I am quite thankful.

Have you read Iain Murray's "Australian Christianity"?

10:00 AM  
Blogger Rileysowner said...

So you will be at the Banner again. As has become my reqular practice, I also will be at the Banner conference again this year. I'm all registered up, and ready to go.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Scribe said...

Yes, we'll have three Eastern RCA pastors in one vehicle, chaperoned by an OPC minister from Scotland!

It should be an interesting time on many levels, and I hope to have some interesting conversations with brethren in the PCA, etc. Look forward to seeing you...make sure you wear your hat!

3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home