Thursday, January 04, 2007

"Godincidents"

God told Elijah on Mt. Horeb (Sinai) not to look for evidence of the divine presence in spectacular events (e.g., great wind, earthquake, or fire ~ cf. 1 Kings 19:11-12), but in God's "still small voice." If we look back over our lives, we can detect God's intervention most often in small, subtle events which only later amaze us. A former parishioner of mine, a most holy woman, would often say, "There are no coincidences, only Godincidents." Our faith is strengthened when we observe how God answers our prayers, especially the small cries of distress we utter as we rush to and fro about our day. As the psalmist says:

"In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto to my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears" (18:6).

"I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place" (118:5).

"In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me" (120:1).

I am sure that in heaven we will thank God for all the times he said "No!" to us in our prayers, but I am equally sure that we will sing praises for the many small blessings, incidents, providences, and other God-directed events we will call to our remembrance. Such a "Godincident" happened to me today; did one happen to you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home