Saturday, October 29, 2005

Naxos, Naxos, We Adore Thee

I have an addiction, so I need to confess. I can't help myself when Naxos puts out early music on cd for $5.99 or $6.99. I don't necessarily restrict myself to Medieval and Renaissance music, but it is certainly my favorite, and Naxos has so much to offer for so little money. In the last week I have purchased truly revelatory music from John Dunstable ("Masses and Motets", 1390-1453) and "Sacred Music From Notre Dame" (music by Léonin and Pérotin, ca. 1200 A.D.). Both of these discs are from the choral group, previously unknown to me, by the name of Tonus Peregrinus. The sound quality is superb, and the music is both interesting for being new to me, and also superbly sung. Run out and buy these cds at Arkivmusic.com, iTunes, or wherever you satisfy your own musical addiction. I solemnly vouch for the soul restoring beauty of the music. Did I mention that Arkivmusic is having a sale...?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Lucky duck, Ars. How wonderful to buy Naxos at that price.

Blessings and bliss

4:32 AM  
Blogger Scribe said...

I take it Naxos costs a tad more down under? :(
Sorry to hear that. There is always iTunes or other download services which sell Naxos for the same price. Geography is irrelevant on the net.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naxos is such a great invention! - the best music buy i think i ever made was when i discovered Naxos' John Tavener CD - Song for Athene/ Svyati. The tracks 'Funeral Ikos', and the haunting echoing solo cello and choir on 'Svyati' are just amazing!

All the best - Simon

8:15 AM  
Blogger Scribe said...

My reply to Steve's query has been moved and expanded to a new post, "More on Early Music."

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home