Friday, December 01, 2006

More Medical News

Because my denomination is changing health care insurance come January 1st, I have had to change doctors and hospitals in mid-course of my leukemia treatments. There is a blessing to all this, however, in that the hospital which accepts United Health Care (henceforth named Uck), is Hackensack University Medical Center, which is one of the best hospitals in the country, and a premier leukemia treatment center.

I met my new doctor, Dr. Goldberg, today, and was quite impressed with him and the unit which will be treating me. It turns out that my treatment will be faster (2 hours a day instead of 5), and when it comes time (God willing) for a stem cell transplant, one is first put in an isolation ward which is very clean and secure. Then, they monitor your progress by putting you in a hospital-owned apartment a block away, and shuttle you each day back and forth. This makes life much better, trust me, since staying in a tiny room for long periods of time hinders your recovery.

It's a long, scary trip I am on, but I am thankful to God for providing me with the services and staff I need to get better. Some folks drive hours just to get the care that's twenty minutes from my door. Now, as they say in AA, it's one day at a time, easy does, it, and let go and let God take over. Easier said than done, but in my case there is no alternative. One of the worst fears, that of the unknown, is now gone, so that's a relief. New Jersey may be a crowded mess, but if you're sick, it's "banging," as my daughter says. I assume "banging" means very good.

Please consider signing up to be a bone marrow donor. You will be giving the gift of life to someone, and that, to quote Martha, is a good thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home